Even as I sit with this pencil,
I know it hurts when you’re shunned and neglected,
Walked over, frowned upon self-esteem contested,
So now you want to show that you are,
A man in a sense but you’re mentally scarred,
Going out, looking for your victims,
When you should be searching for some wisdom,
Don’t HATE! Don’t RAPE! Don’t convince them,
Only thinking bout how you gonna fix them,
Instead get a friend, talk to them, and get it out your system,
Those people that you think you are fixing,
Is put inside of a traumatizing position,
They won’t feel the strength of a man,
They will only see a Perp with demands,
Right now it’s time to make a stand,
It’s time for you to truly understand,
Choosing Violence, Rape as a plan,
Will Never Ever make a distressed fella, a MAN!
This letter by Marc touched on so many key points in the issues of sexual assault!
*** Keep in mind this is a message by a man to another. A message to a perpetrator that was once a victim and is still a victim in different circumstances.
So there are some questions that arised from Mr Rainey's letter to this troubled man which are: Are you or should you be considered a man if you committed or thought of committing a sexual assault against another? Do perpetrators and victims share commonality in their struggles to heal?
THE POINT OF IT ALL IS THAT WE MUST REMEBER THAT OF ALL CRIMES COMMITTED, SEXUAL VIOLENCE IS THE LEAST TO BE REPORTED. SILENCE IS DEADLY!!!
THOSE WHO HAVE TAKEN PART IN AND HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE OF ANY SORT CAN JOIN OUR CAUSE IN FIGHTING THIS CRISIS. THERE ARE SHOULDERS TO LEAN ON AND EARS THAT ARE WILLING AND WAITING TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!
* A skilled technician with software to make jpeg files to post letters of support on the tracker
* A graphic arts designer to help our website designer
* Skilled media savvy persons to chronicle CUNY's progress for the students on campus blogs, radio and television.
* Organizations and individuals to endorse our cause (willing to sign a letter of support)
* Organizations and individuals to join Students for a Greater CUNY as a member